Thursday, March 6, 2014

Devil's Advocate

I can sometimes be a bit of a Debbie Downer. My friends know this, and have accepted it. Something they have not come to accept, and may not even know that I do, is play the Devil's Advocate. Murphy will suggest something awesome to Khaleesi, and they'll both start kind of planning it or thinking of fun things to do together, but after about 10 or 15 minutes I'll lean in and say "but what about this? Or that or the other thing?"

I'm not doing this to kill the fun.

I'm doing this to make it POSSIBLE.

Or another example. (OOH I HAD AN IDEA! Meet Timmy.)

*Ahem* Our random NPC (Non-Player Character) Timmy is having a disagreement with somebody, and Timmy totally believe that he's correct. Now I'll let him get about 3/4 way through his argument and say "But what if this just happened to them? Or there's something you don't know that makes them act like this? What if you accidentally said something horrible and they're right to be upset?" Needless to say, it doesnt go well for me after that.

BUT.

If I hadn't said anything at all and agreed with Timmy, then he goes to confront this person and BAM they had a perfectly valid reason for being upset, even if they couldn't articulate it at the time?

The bottom line is that I pressure my friends because if they can't take it from me, someone who loves them dearly, then how well are they going to handle it when they have to go fight the real monsters about important things? I'm like the tutorial to every RPG or video game in existence. You HATE that tutorial, so damn much, but it got you set up for the rest of the game. I'm the practice encouter with half the Hit Points and damage of the actualy boss, but I let you get a feel for what it's like.

So I let them get mad at me. I let them get indignant and lay into me for 20 more minutes about how they're right, and here's a reason, and here's a fact, dammit, and by the end they have a bunch of arguments already thought through before they have to go off for reals. So my job is done.

2 comments:

  1. A.) Love my name.
    B.) Dude, I already knew that about you. It's just kind of a thing. Drogo does that all the freaking time as well. It used to annoy me, but now I welcome it because I *know* that I go on flights of fancy that don't necessarily have a good basis in reality… HOWEVER, I *am* capable of formulating well-thought-out plans that, though they may appear harebrained to unspontaneous or unadventurous folk, actually work out awesomely.
    C.) We were being facetious, goddamnit!

    ReplyDelete